Saturday, July 14, 2012

Out of the Blue

So today I took my kids to the grocery store with me.  Daddy was trying to edit the preview for the documentary he and his friends have made.  (Side note, it's entered in for TWO Emmy Awards- how cool is that!)  I decided to take the girls with me when I got groceries so he could have some chatter-free time to edit the preview and get it done today like he wanted.

On the way to the store, a song came on the radio.  Anna asked her favorite car question, "What's this song, Mommy?"  I told her my usual response, "I don't know, Sweetie."  (She wants a title, and if I know it, she then wants the name of the singer.  So far, the only one I consistently know is Taylor Swift...  Because I know that ONE voice, she thinks I should be able to tell her all information about all songs...)  Anyway, after I told her I didn't know the name of the song, she told me its title- or at least the phrase they repeat quite often in it.  She was right, too.  She'd been able to tell me the title of the song before the words had even started.  I could have told her the name of the song (at least what I call it) if she'd asked after the chorus.  I was so impressed with her that she could pick it out that soon.  (She gets that from Daddy.  He can do that same thing.)

After I got over the Mommy Pride that she was being so smart and showing such a good memory, the thought came to me, "I am SO glad I don't listen to rap."  She was telling me the main phrases in the songs.  What if I'd been listening to a song that swore?  This time it came out of the blue, but at least had a trigger.  If she hears the song a few more times, she may be telling me the words because of a less obvious trigger.  A few more times after that and she'll know it well enough to quote it without any triggers...

Just a reminder that we need to watch what we say, do, and listen to.  And we need to even if there aren't kids around.  Just because it isn't getting spouted back to us by a three year old doesn't mean it isn't getting recorded...  Heavenly Father sees it all.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment