Friday, July 6, 2012

The Drive

So I realized yesterday that I'm a complete nerd. :)  I was driving with my two girls from Grandma's house yesterday (a five hour drive) and had a few snags.  To calm myself down, I spent the first half of the drive figuring out what I could say on my blog about all the experiences we were having... :)  So here it is:

First of all, the undercarriage of the car started to come off.  We figured that out as I was backing out of the driveway at my mom's house.  Great start to the drive.  I went up to a car parts store hoping they could help me rip it the rest of the way off so I could drive home. I didn't know what it would do to the car if I dragged it the whole way...  They didn't have the equipment to help me, but were able to tell me how to get to a nearby shop.  I drove across the street to fill up on gas and began praying as hard as I could to figure out what to do.  A shop was going to charge me at least twenty dollars to fix the problem.  I didn't have even that amount.  All I had was what I needed to buy gas on the way home.  Then the thought popped into my head, "Dwayne Perry."  Dwayne is a man who lives in my mom's area.  He fixes cars for a living.  He was good friends with both of my parents growing up, and still takes care of all the problems my mom has with her car.  I drove to his house (he fixes cars out of a shop he built in his garage at his house) and 'magically' he was home, despite the fact that it was the Fourth of July week.  He immediately came out and helped me with the car.  I think it took him ten minutes total, and a lot of that was jacking the car up.  (Kids thought that was so cool, as they were both still in it when it went up and down- better than Lagoon. :D)  I know the thought to go to Dwayne was NOT from me.  On top of that, when I asked if I could mail him a check to pay for his services, he refused any payment.

Then, the next bit of fun happened.  I was driving in what felt like torrential downpour.  I haven't driven in rain for a long time.  (St. George doesn't get it all that often, so even when it rains at my house I rarely have to drive in it...)  I hit the rain and the I-15 core construction all at once.  Traffic was also horrible because everyone was on lunch break.  I was so scared and stressed.  Then the thought came to me that if I turned on the cd it would calm me down.  I had Anna's primary song cd in the cd player.  It did calm me down.  We listened to that same seven songs the entire five hour drive.  It's amazing the effect our music will have on us. :)  (Ironically, two of the seven songs were about rain...)

A few other 'fun' things happened on the drive, but those two were the most amazing to me.  We made it safely with no other real trouble.  The rain didn't last the whole drive, and we got home only a few minutes behind schedule, despite all the delays.

It's amazing what can happen when we both pray and listen for answers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment