I realized this morning why so many of us sometimes feel disappointed in life. We all want to be Harry Potter. You know, we want to wake up one morning and find out that we are special and that the world can't function without us. Or we want to be Cinderella- struggle a bit but then marry Prince Charming and live happily ever after.
My realization comes because of our Ladies' Night Out last night. (To my friends there, you know who you are- thank you.) I realized today that it isn't that none of us get our fairy tale life. I think in the end most of us get it. Fairy tales only tell us the summary version. We get the exciting how I met prince charming part, but not the mundane story of life afterward. I do have a fairy tale life. I met my prince charming and we have two kids. I even got my dream come true of being a stay at home mom.
When we hear about Cinderella, we don't hear about how she and Prince Charming argued over what school to put their kids in. We don't hear about how five years into the marriage Prince Charming found Cinderella in the bedroom crying because she can't lose all the baby weight and doesn't fit into the wedding dress anymore. We don't hear about Prince's high blood pressure. We don't hear about how the two year old broke the glass slipper when using it to dress up the cat.
We often feel inadequate- or at least I often do. I've made it my goal to realize that just because I'm not Cinderella doesn't mean I'm not happy. I am happy. I bet Cinderella had to let it go that Prince snored. I bet he had to get used to the fact that she didn't like his mother. I bet their kids fought and one of them failed out of math because he thought it was stupid. When they got older, I bet he was diabetic and they both went senile.
And I bet they both still lived happily ever after.
No comments:
Post a Comment