Monday, April 2, 2012

Tender Mercies

The Lord loves us.  Because he loves us, he showers us with tender mercies- if we will just see them.  I've had several experiences recently that have pointed this out to me.  Today I was working hard trying to dismantle a set of bunk beds we have so we could move them to a different room up the stairs.  The pieces were heavy, and the screws were in so tightly it took all my strength to get them back out.  I had a constant prayer in my heart as I dismantled the bunk beds.  There were several times I couldn't figure out how to get the bed apart, but was inspired at the right way to do it.  In the end, I was given the strength and wisdom I needed to get the beds apart and up the stairs.  It didn't matter if the beds went upstairs today or not.  I could just as easily have waited for my husband to come home and help.  But it was important to me, so I was given the help I needed to do it.  That is a tender mercy.

A few weeks ago, I swept off our patio for an event.  The event got rained out.  The next day (or the day after) my daughter dropped a glass jar and it broke.  Had I not swept off the patio, I would never have been able to find and clean up all the pieces of glass.  Most likely no one would have gotten seriously hurt.  But it was a tender mercy that we didn't have to worry about it.

I can think of at least two instances in the past year where I have had something flammable sitting on the stove, and knob to the burner has been accidentally bumped and the burner turned on.  Both times we could easily  have had a fire.  Both times we saw it before anything got seriously damaged.  Again, the fires most likely would not have gotten big enough to hurt anyone or do any serious damage.  But it was a tender mercy that we didn't have to deal with it.

Look around you.  You'll be grateful for all the tender mercies.

No comments:

Post a Comment