Monday, June 18, 2012

Example

I thought about an experience yesterday that I haven't really thought about in years.  It happened a long time ago, and I don't really know the full impact it had.  I guess that's really how most of our experiences are, though.  We quite often don't know the trickle effect our actions or words have.

Anyway, this happened to my sister and me when we were in junior high and high school.  I don't remember exactly how old we were, but I'm guessing I was 12 and she was 15.  A family in our ward that we were really good friends with had a wedding.  Their youngest son was getting married.  In order for all the brothers and sisters to attend, they needed a babysitter.  All of the older brothers and sisters were married and had children of their own.

So they asked my sister and me if we'd go to temple square with them and watch the kids while the adults were all in the wedding ceremony.  I can't remember how many kids we had, but I'd guess it was just shy of ten kids.  They ranged in ages.  The oldest were probably 8 or 9.  The youngest was a cute little toddler.

We all decided to do one of the tours of temple square that the missionaries give.  When we started, it was just our group.  Heidi and I let the little kids answer all the questions the missionaries asked and made sure they all stayed together.  About halfway through the tour, a gentleman joined the group.  He went the rest of the way through the tour with us.

The tour ended about the time the wedding ceremony was over.  The missionaries pulled all the parents aside as they were coming to get their kids.  My own parents must have also gone to the ceremony because it was my mom who told me what the missionaries had said to all the parents.

The gentleman who had joined our group was not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  He must have gone to temple square as a tourist.  He was so impressed with the little kids- how they knew all the answers to all the questions the missionaries asked- that he filled out a referral card and wanted the missionaries to come talk to him.

I wish I could take credit for any part of that experience.  But I didn't teach the kids, I didn't answer the questions, and I didn't talk to the man. I don't know what happened to him.  I don't know if he took the missionary lessons or not.

But it makes me think.  What am I teaching my children?  Would my daughter be able to answer the questions of a friend who wants to know what her religion teaches?  Do I act in a way that would make someone feel positively or negatively towards the church?  Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment