In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we are invited to pay tithing and fast offerings. Tithing is ten percent of any increase. Fast Offerings is a donation made to help those in need within our ward and throughout the church.
My family has seen very big blessings from these two sacrifices. When Scott and I first moved from Salt Lake City to St. George, we had a rough financial time. The move had been expensive and the change of jobs had resulted in two full months with no paycheck. As a result, we'd racked up some credit card bills trying to survive. It took us about six months to get back on our feet again.
When we look back at that time, we think, "How did we make it through?" The math doesn't add up for us surviving that first six months down here in St. George. We should have needed help, but we didn't. We firmly believe that was a blessing from our paying a full tithing.
Even now, I find that when I go grocery shopping on a tight month, most of the sales I see are the things that are on my shopping list- and as a result it is the main reason we have enough grocery money for the month. I firmly believe that is also a blessing from our paying a full tithing.
Fast Offerings comes with blessings as well. When Scott and I were trying to find the solution to me being able to stay home with the kids instead of working full time, we decided to increase the amount of fast offerings we paid. We did that, and Scott was blessed with inspiration on how to pay off a bill. We increased the amount another time and he was blessed with the inspiration on how to lower a bill. That happened several times during that school year, and I was able to quit working full time and stay home with our girls.
This isn't to say that the blessings that come from tithing and fast offerings are always financial. They aren't. In fact, the greatest blessing we receive from the two is probably learning to sacrifice happily. It's impossible to say why we are blessed with certain things. It's also impossible to know the ways we are protected. But I know for a fact that I have been blessed from obeying the law of tithes of and offerings.
If there is anyone that is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that does not have a testimony of tithing or fast offerings, I challenge you to get one. Pay a full tithing. Increase the amount of fast offerings you pay. Then pray to be able to see the blessings you receive from the sacrifice. If there is anyone that is not a member of the church, I challenge you to read the Book of Mormon. These sacrifices are discussed in that book as well as the Doctrine and Covenants. I challenge everyone to get a testimony of these principles. Your lives will be greatly blessed in many ways as a result.
No comments:
Post a Comment