So a couple months ago I was clearing out our back yard. We had piles of debris that needed cleaning up, and I was filling our garbage cans with it. Then when the can was dumped, I could do another load. One day I knew the garbage truck was coming, so I filled a can. After the truck emptied it, I hurried and filled it again with the intent to wheel it across the street to be dumped again, thus getting two loads done in one day. The pile I had filled the can with this second time looked to be leaves and sticks. As I started pulling the can up the hill, I soon realized it was mostly dirt, and that it was FAR too heavy for me to pull up the hill on my own. Determined to succeed without having to wait for my husband, losing the opportunity for the extra garbage truck dump, I continued pulling up the hill. At one point, I slipped and fell, pulling the heavy can down on my leg. After several minutes I managed to free myself. I again began to pull it up the hill. Again I fell and pulled the can on my leg. Several minutes of pain and I was free again. A third time I started this process, pulling the can and then falling with the can on my leg. I was still only halfway up the hill. Finally, I realized I would NEVER be able to pull the can up the hill on my own. I walked next door and found a neighbor who worked from home. He came and assisted me. With his help, we got the can up the hill and across the street quite easily. I was able to have the extra load emptied as I had hoped.
Isn't it funny how we seem incapable of asking for help, even when we know full well we aren't capable of completing a task on our own? And isn't it funny that when WE have to ask for help, we feel like everyone is judging us and will think badly of us, but when we someone asks US for help, we don't even notice?
Just a thought. :)
I do stuff like that all the time! I think that I should be able to handle something. Come on, I can move this garbage can to the street. I just need to find the right pulling/pushing angle. I probably would have fought with it for hours and broken a limb until someone saw me and took pity on me. :)
ReplyDeleteI so agree! I have a really hard time asking people for help, but have no problem helping out others who have asked for mine. I'm glad you finally broke down and asked! Good job working on your yard! You are an ambitious girl!
ReplyDelete