Sunday, July 13, 2014

I Will Go, I Will Do

I am the primary pianist in my ward.  That means that during the time block during our church meetings designated for classes, I play the piano for singing time for the kids 3-11.  The primary is divided into two groups - Junior Primary (kids ages 3-8) and Senior Primary (kids ages 9-11).  Both groups love the song I am about to talk about and sing it louder than any other song I have heard them sing.

The song I just referenced is called Nephi's Courage.  This was one of my favorite songs growing up, as well.  It goes over the story of Nephi, a prophet in the Book of Mormon.  God told Nephi's father, Lehi (also a prophet), to take his family and leave Jerusalem because it was going to be destroyed.  (In the bible, this would be the time of the prophet Jeremiah.)  Lehi had four sons.  Nephi and Sam were faithful to the Lord and obeyed their father.  Laman and Lemuel were not.  They constantly had to be reprimanded and chastened in order to be 'motivated' to keep the commandments.

One of my favorite scriptures is 1 Nephi, 3:7:
 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

This scripture has so many applications to life.  It's why Nephi's Courage is one of my favorite songs.  The course says: I will go, I will do the things the Lord commands. I know the Lord provides a way; He wants me to obey. 

As the kids in our primary sang this song, they really called it out during the chorus.  They were pounding their fists in the air to accent the words, I will GO, I will DO.  It is so awesome to see kids with such faith and determination to go and do the things the Lord commands them to do.  Listen to the song, and I guarantee it will touch you as well!

We've all been commanded to do things that are hard, just like Nephi was.  It isn't easy to keep high standards anymore, and the more time passes, the harder it gets.  But the Lord doesn't ask us to do anything that He hasn't made possible.  We can all succeed in following the Lord.  Otherwise He wouldn't ask us to follow Him.  Just a thought.

Here is a link to this song:  https://www.lds.org/music/library/childrens-songbook/nephis-courage?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment