Friday, November 8, 2013

My Prayer Worked!

Last night, Anna woke up with a short and high-pitched scream.  I went down to check on her and she was just terrified because of the dream she'd just had.  She told me all about the dream, and it did sound scary- even for an adult.  This wasn't the first time during the night I'd had to go comfort her because of a dream, but this was an especially terrifying one.

I sat her on my lap and was rocking her back and forth a little bit, hugging her.  She just clung to me and whimpered as she told me about the dream. Then she started asking to come sleep with mommy and daddy, which we have never allowed.  I told her I'd stay with her for a while so she could calm down.

Before I went back upstairs to go to sleep, I asked her if she wanted to say a prayer before I left.  She did, but she wanted me to say it.  (She then told me exactly what to say and how to say it, so I don't know why she didn't just voice it herself. :D)  We said a prayer. It was simple.  She asked that the bad and scary dreams go away so she could have a good one that was fun. 

After we finished the prayer, I held her for awhile longer.  I felt the spirit giving me peace. I asked Anna if she also felt better.  She said she did, and I explained that it was the Holy Ghost helping her feel better.  She laid down without complaining, and slept through the rest of the night.

When she came upstairs this morning, she was just jumping.  She ran in to where I was, saying, "MOMMY! MY PRAYER WORKED!"  She then told me about the fun dream she'd had after she went back to sleep.

It was nice as a mother to see her happy. It made me happier knowing that she'd just built a little bit more into her testimony about prayer.  It was also a good reminder for me.  We don't always get what we pray for.  But our prayers are always answered- just sometimes the answer isn't what we wanted, or it doesn't come when we wanted.

But sometimes it works out how we want it to.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kelli, I just wanted to tell you that I love reading your "thoughts" blog. They are so uplifting! What a neat experience for your daughter. Thanks for sharing! Aubrey (Redmond) Janowicz

    ReplyDelete