Saturday, October 27, 2012

Personal Histories

At our Relief Society Midweek Activity this week, we learned about personal histories.  We learned the value first of all, and then made personal history jars.  In the jars we have lots of questions.  You answer the question in your history. This helps you 'jar' your memory so you can write your history. It cuts out all the stress.  It doesn't matter that your history won't be chronological.

The perk of this?  We also got questions to ask our children.  I started this today with my girls.  We did three questions.  Anna thought it was so cool to talk about herself and know that mommy was typing what she said.  Then together, Anna and I decided what we think Katie would say in response to the same questions.  I did these on google docs so I could allow the entire family to view it.  I am saving all the questions so we can answer them again once we make it through the jar.  Then we can watch their responses change as they get older.  Very cool experience.

I highly recommend this activity.  The handout in pdf form is at the following link:  http://www.weebly.com/weebly/main.php.  The pdf you want is the first document under Writing and Research Helps.  (I tried to upload it straight to my blog and I can't, so you get to go to my old Weebly teaching site. :D)  This document has first the instructions to make the jar, then the questions for adults, and then the questions for children.

No comments:

Post a Comment